4/23/2013 12:50 A.M. ET
Indians activate reliever Albers from restricted list
By Jordan Bastian / MLB.com
CHICAGO -- Indians reliever Matt Albers was activated from the restricted list on Monday after tending to a family issue for the better part of the past two weeks.
Cleveland manager Terry Francona said it was important for Albers to know that the team puts family first during tough times.
"That's what we told him," Francona said. "He understands completely that he had our blessing to be at home, and our thoughts and our prayers always with him, and hopefully even our actions. We welcome him back. At the same time, we will think about his wife and his family. Hopefully now, this is where these guys can help him."
Albers was originally placed on the paternity list to be with his wife, who experienced complications with her pregnancy. The right-hander was later transferred to the medical emergency list before the Indians added him to the restricted list instead of activating him this past weekend.
Albers, who was acquired this offseason from Arizona, is 1-0 with a 5.40 ERA over five innings in four appearances out of the bullpen.
The Indians designated Fernando Nieve for assignment on Monday to clear room on the 40-man roster for Albers. Nieve, 30, was promoted this weekend from Triple-A Columbus when Brett Myers was placed on the 15-day disabled list, but he has not appeared in a Major League game this year.
Albers was home in the Houston area for 10 days and threw at a local high school to keep his arm in shape while away from the Indians.
"He's ready to go," Francona said.
Indians hope rest, treatment will aid Myers
CHICAGO -- The Indians are hoping that a combination of rest and treatment will be enough to solve right-hander Brett Myers' right arm injury. Cleveland plans on giving the pitcher a couple of weeks off to determine whether that approach will suffice.
On Monday, the Indians announced that Myers has been diagnosed with tendinitis in his right elbow and a mild sprain of the ulnar collateral ligament in the joint. The starting pitcher underwent an MRI exam on Sunday in Cleveland after being placed on the 15-day disabled list.
Myers will take two weeks off from throwing before being re-examined. At that point, if the 32-year-old is asymptomatic, he could be cleared to begin a throwing program.
"I'm not happy about [being injured]," Myers told MLB.com. "There was inflammation in there. They saw something on the UCL ligament they weren't sure what it was, but they diagnosed it as a sprain. The doctor told me it's usually six weeks for a younger guy because they want to be sure.
"I'm hoping that it's just two weeks and in 10 days I can start throwing again."
Myers logged five innings in his most recent start on Friday against the Astros. Following that outing, in which he allowed three runs on five hits (two home runs) with four strikeouts and two walks, Myers indicated that he has been pitching through what he believed was forearm tendinitis.
"I definitely know I need time off from throwing and make it calm down," Myers said. "It hasn't gotten any better and maybe gotten a little worse than it has been, but I don't feel it when I pitch. I don't feel anything when I'm throwing. The four days in between, it's just sore and not recovering like it should."
Myers had been dealing with the issue since Spring Training and Indians manager Terry Francona noted that the pitcher told the team he has had similar problems early on in previous seasons. Francona hoping Myers is able to bounce back and rejoin the team by late May.
"It is what it is," Francona said. "I don't think he felt like it was going to be worse than [the diagnosis]. It'll be two weeks down and then hopefully get him on a good throwing program and get him back on the mound helping us. I don't think we were expecting [it to be] worse."
Myers, who was originally scheduled to start against the White Sox on Wednesday, has been replaced by right-hander Corey Kluber in the rotation.
Through four appearances this season, Myers had gone 0-3 with an 8.02 ERA for the Indians, allowing a Major League-leading 10 home runs and 19 runs, which was tied for the most in baseball heading into Monday's action. That early showing followed a subpar spring, during which Myers posted a 9.00 ERA in six Cactus League outings (21 innings).
Over the offseason, Cleveland signed Myers to a one-year contract worth $7 million that includes a club option worth $8 million for 2014.
Gomes impressive, but likely headed back to Triple-A
CHICAGO -- The Indians have been impressed with what they have seen from catcher Yan Gomes in his stint in the big leagues this month. Backup catcher Lou Marson is nearly ready to come off the disabled list, though, and Cleveland wants to keep Gomes playing regularly to continue his development.
Gomes will more than likely be sent back to Triple-A Columbus later this week.
"We've talked to Yan about this," Indians manager Terry Francona said. "We haven't made a move yet, but he understands that he does not need to be sitting here not playing. It's not in [the best] interest for his future."
Marson, who has been on the 15-day disabled list since April 9 after sustaining a strained neck in a collision at home plate on April 6, is scheduled to rejoin the Indians on Tuesday. Barring something unexpected, Francona said Marson will then be activated from the DL prior to Wednesday's game against the White Sox.
In three Minor League rehab games at Triple-A, Marson has gone 1-for-8 at the plate.
In his first six games with Cleveland since being summoned from Columbus on April 9, the 25-year-old Gomes hit .211 (4-for-19) with one triple, two home runs and three RBIs. Gomes has thrown out the only two runners to attempt to steal against him and he has posted a 3.52 catcher's ERA in his 46 innings behind the plate.
Francona said Gomes' game-calling ability has been especially impressive.
"[It's been] better than his experience," Francona said. "He doesn't have a ton of experience and he's done a very good job getting to know the pitchers, understanding our game plans, following them, establishing relationships. It's probably the reason we're so excited about him."
Quote to note
"That was unbelievable. Man, the ball was like embedded into that hill out there -- like [he used] a 2-iron. I know. That's part of the quirkiness, I guess, that everybody likes. But when your guy doesn't score, it doesn't feel too good. It might've been more than  feet. That's a long way."
-- Indians manager Terry Francona, on Ryan Raburn's fifth-inning double to the hill in center field at Minute Maid Park in Sunday's 5-4 win over the Astros
• Indians center fielder Michael Bourn, who has been on the 15-day disabled list since April 15, is scheduled to have the stitches removed from his injured right index finger on Thursday. Bourn remains limited to lower body strength and conditioning, as well as hand exercises.
• After a request for review was filed by Astros second baseman Jose Altuve, Major League Baseball's executive vice president of baseball operations Joe Torre changed Saturday's first-inning error by Indians left fielder Michael Brantley to a double for Altuve. Brantley has zero errors on the season.
• Entering Monday's meeting with the White Sox, the Indians had homered in 12 straight games at U.S. Cellular Field, dating back to Sept. 9, 2011. It marked the second-longest streak in team history at the ballpark (1991-present), trailing the 14-game stretch from April 7, 2005-Sept. 7, 2006. The Tribe did not homer in its 3-2 victory Monday.
• People in downtown Cleveland should be reminded that the Indians will be holding a full-scale emergency exercise on Tuesday at Progressive Field in conjunction with the city and multiple law enforcement and emergency entities.
Jordan Bastian is a reporter for MLB.com. Read his blog, Major League Bastian, and follow him on Twitter @MLBastian. MLB.com reporter Brian McTaggart contributed to this report. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.