• Enters his third season as Boston's first base coach and his 12th season overall in the Red Sox organization.
• Also serves as Boston's outfield instructor...Red Sox outfielders led the AL with 37 assists in 2014.
• Was the first base coach for the 2014 American League All-Stars on 7/15 at MIN.
• Has compiled an 802-756 (.515) record and reached the playoffs six times in 13 seasons as a Minor League manager.
• Spent nine seasons as a manager in the Red Sox organization, leading Class A Lowell (2000-01), Class A Augusta (2002), Double-A Portland (2007-10), and Triple-A Pawtucket (2011-12)...Guided those clubs to a combined 585-553 (.514) record and four playoff appearances.
• Became just the third manager ever to lead Triple-A Pawtucket to the postseason in consecutive years in 2011-12...His 2012 team won the Governors' Cup, marking the PawSox' first International League Championship in 28 years...He also saw 23 of his players contribute to the Red Sox at the Major League level in 2012.
• Led Double-A Portland to a pair of Eastern League playoff berths in 2007 and 2008...Named the Eastern League's top managerial prospect by Baseball America in 2010.
• Between stints with the Red Sox organization, managed the Rangers' Class A California League affiliate in Stockton (2003-04) and Bakersfield (2005), leading Stockton to the CL playoffs in 2003 and 2004...In 2006, served as hitting coach for SD's Double-A Mobile affiliate and worked as a coach under current Red Sox Latin American coordinator and international crosschecker Todd Claus for the West Oahu CaneFires in the Hawaiian Winter Baseball League after that season.
• Spent three years coaching in the Yankees system as a batting and infield coach for Triple-A Columbus (1997) and Double-A Norwich (1998-99).
• Served as the Florida area scout for the Tigers from 1992-96.
• A middle infielder, he played six seasons of Minor League Baseball in the Tigers system from 1986-91, reaching as high as Triple-A Toledo in his final professional campaign.
• Best season came in 1987 when he hit .285 with 20 stolen bases in 117 games at Class A Fayetteville, playing alongside Red Sox bench coach Torey Lovullo.
• Has two children, Jordan (24) and Brady (20).
• Graduated from Wichita State University, where he earned All-Conference honors in all three seasons from 1984-86 and was tabbed to the all-region team in 1985...Also attended Lamar Community College in Colorado.